Congress dates: April 28-29-30, 2018
Venue: Fine Arts Museum
All participants in the BRAU4 Biennial of Restoration in Alexandria please be informed that the venue has been modified due to sudden unforeseen compelling unavailability of Bibliotheca Alexandrina conference center halls. We apologize for the inconvenience and we look forward to seeing you at the new venue hosting the event.
Collateral Events dates: April 15-27, 2018
- Dr. Ayat Elmihy (coordinator), director of ANPIEMED (local partner Association)
- Arch. Sahar Sharaky, Architectural Consultant, ANPIEMED
- Prof. Hussein Mahmoud, Dean – Faculty of Languages and translation
- Prof. Sohair Hawas, Professor of Architecture and Urban Design, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
- Prof. Tarek Naga, Professor of Architecture at the American University in Cairo (AUC)
- Prof. Neveen Ghareeb, Professor of Architecture at Faculty of Fine Arts
- Prof. Ezio Godoli, Professor of Architecture, University of Florence, Directive Committee of CICOP Italy
- Dr. Dalia El Sorady, Associate Professor of Architectural Engineering , Pharos University
- Prof. Dalila El Kerdany, Professor of Architecture and Urban Design, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
- Prof. Hany Ayad, Professor in Architecture and Urban Planning, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University
- Prof. Khaled El Hagla, Professor in Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University
- Prof. Heba Abou El Fadl, Professor of Architecture at Faculty of Fine Arts
- Dipl. Arch. Seif Allah A. Al Naga, President of Society of Egyptian Architects
- Prof. Arch. Nina Avramidou, president of CICOP Italy and CICOP Net Confederation
“The underground life of Orvieto, Italy, from the Etruscans to nowadays: technology, consolidation, use and exploitation of caves”
- Prof. Soheir Hawas, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
“The regeneration of Egypt’s modern heritage-khedivial Cairo”
- Prof. Arch. Nicolaos Lianos, vice President ICOMOS Greece, Dean of Faculty of Architecture, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
“The use of digital documentation methods and the rediscovery of hidden architectures”
- Prof. Tarek Naga, American University in Cairo (AUC)
“Cities of Phantom Limbs”
- Prof. Dalila Elkerdany, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
“The Hidden Heritage of Market Halls in Cairo: Attaba and Bab El Louk”
- Prof. Vincenzo Sapienza, Vice Head of Department, University of Catania, CICOP Italy
“Renovation of rural landscape through Industrial Archaeology – the Sicilian case”
- Prof. Arch. Tina Wik, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
“Örebro castle, a state monument in the centre of Örebro town: its symbolic role, maintenance, energy efficiency projects and interaction between the castle and the local community”
- Prof. Mona Haggag, Department of Classical Archaeology, Faculty of Arts, Alexandria University
“The Greek Romaine Museum of Alexandria: Renovation or Revival”
- Prof. Mohamed Abdelmaguid, General Director Central Department Underwater Antiquities, Ministry State Antiquities, Egypt
“Management of Underwater Cultural Heritage in Egypt: Successes and failures”
- Dr. Francesco Greco, Ph.D. in Economic Politics, President of ANPIEMED Cultural Foundation
“Un patrimonio comune di storie condivise ‘Commons’ “
- Mr. Seif Abou El Naga, Egyptian Architecture Association
“The professional restoration of architecture heritage”
- Prof. Arch. Ezio Godoli, University of Florence, Directive Committee of CICOP Italy
Arch. Giovanni Fontana Antonelli, Archi Media Trust
“From vernacular to pre-modern. The transformation of the peasant dwelling into a merchant house in as-salt, Jordan”
- Prof Arch. Leïla Ammar, National School of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tunis
“The basilica of Damous al Karita in Cartago, a hidden and obstructed heritage”
- Prof. Eng. Theodossios Tassios, Emeritus Professor of NTU of Athens, Greece:
“The submerged Ancient Greek Technology: From the ship-sheds of Piraeus to the shipwreck of Antikythera”
- Prof. Dr. H. Burcu Ozguven, former Dean of the Faculty of Architecture, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
“Urban Preservation and Economic Development in Istanbul: Contradiction or cooperation?”
- Dr. Mohamed Mehaina, Deputy Director of The Alexandria & Mediterranean Research Centre in Bibliotheca Alexandrina
“Alexandria’s Built Heritage Dilemma between Reality and Administrational Procedures.”
BRAU4 Collateral Events
Several cultural events about the city heritage, lasting eleven days long, have been organized in different locations of Alexandria city, in cooperation with universities, schools, government organizations, non-government organization and cultural centers. Such events range from urban projections to art exhibitions, from artistic performances to debate forums, all open and aimed to the public. The purpose of these activities is to bring out the architectural and urban local heritage and raise public awareness to its protection.
Small Urban Restoration Projects
- “Pedestrian project for SAAD ZAGHLOUL square” urban restoration project in cooperation with the Urban Planning Sector of Alexandria Governorate.
- Photographic exhibition for the historic location and building of Alexandria city. In collaboration with Atelier Alexandria.
- Painting exhibition “Shadow of the city“. In collaboration with Fine Arts Faculty, Painting and graphic Department, Alexandria University.
- Painting exhibition of murals design. In collaboration with Fine Arts Faculty, Painting and graphic Department, Alexandria University.
- Architecture exhibition of graduate and postgraduate projects in Cultural Heritage sector. In collaboration with all participating Universities.
- Sketching exhibition of Alexandria heritage building. By ANPIEMED cultural foundation.
- Photographic exhibition of Heritage photos of the city in the last two centuries. By ANPIEMED cultural foundation.
- Archeological exhibition of graduate and post graduate projects. In collaboration with Archeological Roman & Hellenistic study Department, Alexandria University.
- Street exhibition “Monmarte Alexandria” in square Adah, where there will be paintings, photo, and music.
- Educational photographic workshops of historic location and building in Alexandria city. In collaboration with ADASAA photographic club.
- Educational sketching workshops of heritage building in Alexandria city. By ANPIEMED cultural foundation.
- Educational Archaeological workshops “Current archaeological discoveries in Alexandria“. In collaboration with Archaeological Society in Alexandria.
- Educational Architectural workshops of Heritage Areas in Alexandria city, issued 2017 Guide. In collaboration with Fine Arts Faculty, Alexandria University and National Organization for Urban Harmony.
- Educational Architectural workshops about “Understanding Resilience in Mediterranean Cities“. In collaboration with Technology & Maritime Academy, Architectural Department.
- Educational photographic workshops of hide doors of the city. By ANPIEMED Cultural Foundation.
Ideas Competition for the Design
- Art competition in collaboration with Sculpture Department, Fine Arts Faculty and Atelier Alexandria, to design a decoration project for SAAD ZAGHLOUL & SAFEYA ZAGHLOUL Square.
Performances of Singing and Dancing
- Children coral for heritage songs performance in downtown square. In collaboration with Said Darewish coral.
- Guitar & violin performance in all café of SAAD SAGLOUL square and the Corniche.
Lighting and Outdoor Digital Projection
A common project with the National Organization for Urban Harmony plans to light several heritage building in Alexandria.
- Seminar about “Evaluation of historical gardens in Alexandria city“; in collaboration with Technology & Maritime Academy, Architectural Department.
- Seminar about future strategic planning for Alexandria city, in collaboration with the Regional Urban Planning Government Department.
- Seminar about the cinema heritage in Alexandria, in collaboration with BEHNA, one of the pioneer company of film production in the city.
- Seminar about the World Heritage from Educational vision in collaboration with UNESCO Clubs for Heritage Preservation in Cairo.
- A seminar about development the decorative designs in traditional crafts industries, in collaboration with UNESCO Clubs for Heritage Preservation in Cairo.
- Forum about the projects and efforts to conserve and document the Egyptian heritage, in collaboration with the National Organization for Urban Harmony.
- Forum about the future of Alexandria monuments in collaboration with Archeological Roman & Hellenistic Study Department, Alexandria University.
- Murals tell the history of the city. In collaboration with the Art Museum of Alexandria