Congress dates: April 28-29-30, 2018
Venue: Bibliotheca Alexandrina
Collateral Events dates: April 15-27, 2018
- Dr. Ayat Elmihy (coordinator), director of ANPIEMED (local partner Association)
- Dr. Mohamed Mehaina, Bibliotheca Alexandrina – Alexandria Center for Hellenistic Studies
- Mark George, Bibliotheca Alexandrina – Alexandria and Mediterranean Research Center
- To be defined
- Prof. Mohamed Abdelmaguid, General Director Central Department Underwater Antiquities, Ministry State Antiquities, Egypt
“Management of Underwater Cultural Heritage in Egypt: Successes and failures”
- Prof. Eng. Theodossios Tassios, Emeritus Professor of NTU of Athens, Greece:
“The submerged Ancient Greek Technology: From the ship-sheds of Piraeus to the shipwreck of Antikythera”
- Prof. Arch. Ezio Godoli, University of Florence, Directive Committee of CICOP Italy
Arch. Giovanni Fontana Antonelli, Archi. Media Trust
“From vernacular to pre-modern. The transformation of the peasant dwelling into a merchant house in as-salt, Jordan”
- Prof. Mona Haggag, Department of Classical Archaeology, Faculty of Arts, Alexandria University
“The Greek Romaine Museum of Alexandria: Renovation or Revival”
- Prof. Arch. Tina Wik, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
“Örebro castle, a state monument in the centre of Örebro town: its symbolic role, maintenance, energy efficiency projects and interaction between the castle and the local community”
- Prof. Dr. H. Burcu Ozguven, former Dean of the Faculty of Architecture, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
“Urban Preservation and Economic Development in Istanbul: Contradiction or cooperation?”
- Prof. Arch. Nicolaos Lianos, vice President ICOMOS Greece, Dean of Faculty of Architecture, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
“The use of digital documentation methods and the rediscovery of hidden architectures”
- Prof. Arch. Nina Avramidou, president of CICOP Italy and CICOP Net Confederation
“The underground life of Orvieto, Italy, from the Etruscans to nowadays: technology, consolidation, use and exploitation of caves”
- Prof. Vincenzo Sapienza, Vice Head of Department, University of Catania, CICOP Italy
“Renovation of rural landscape through Industrial Archaeology – the Sicilian case”
- Dr. Vassilis Chrysikopoulos, Archaeologist, Hellenic Society for the Study of Ancient Egypt, Acropolis Museum
“Defining “hidden” in Ancient Egypt: an architectural and archaeological approach”
- Prof Arch. Leïla Ammar, National School of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tunis
“The basilica of Damous al Karita in Cartago, a hidden and obstructed heritage”
- Prof. Soheir Hawas, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
“The regeneration of Egypt’s modern heritage-khedivial Cairo”
- Mr. Seif Abou El Naga, Egyptian Architecture Association
“The professional restoration of architecture heritage”
- Prof. Dalila Elkerdany, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
“The Hidden Heritage of Market Halls in Cairo: Attaba and Bab El Louk”
- Prof. Tarek Naga, American University in Cairo (AUC)
“Cities of Phantom Limbs”
- Dr. Francesco Greco, Ph.D. in Economic Politics, President of ANPIEMED Cultural Foundation
“Un patrimonio comune di storie condivise ‘Commons'”
- Dr. Mohamed Mehaina, Deputy Director of The Alexandria & Mediterranean Research Centre in Bibliotheca Alexandrina
“Alexandria’s Built Heritage Dilemma between Reality and Administrational Procedures.”
- Msc. Yasmine Ali Hussein, Researcher in The Alexandria & Mediterranean Research Centre in Bibliotheca Alexandrina
“The Foundation of Alexandria”
BRAU4 Collateral Events
Several cultural events about the city heritage, lasting eleven days long, have been organized in different locations of Alexandria city, in cooperation with universities, schools, government organizations, non-government organization and cultural centers. Such events range from urban projections to art exhibitions, from artistic performances to debate forums, all open and aimed to the public. The purpose of these activities is to bring out the architectural and urban local heritage and raise public awareness to its protection.
Small Urban Restoration Projects
- “Pedestrian project for SAAD ZAGHLOUL square” urban restoration project in cooperation with the Urban Planning Sector of Alexandria Governorate.
- Photographic exhibition for the historic location and building of Alexandria city. In collaboration with Atelier Alexandria.
- Painting exhibition “Shadow of the city“. In collaboration with Fine Arts Faculty, Painting and graphic Department, Alexandria University.
- Painting exhibition of murals design. In collaboration with Fine Arts Faculty, Painting and graphic Department, Alexandria University.
- Architecture exhibition of graduate and postgraduate projects in Cultural Heritage sector. In collaboration with all participating Universities.
- Sketching exhibition of Alexandria heritage building. By ANPIEMED cultural foundation.
- Photographic exhibition of Heritage photos of the city in the last two centuries. By ANPIEMED cultural foundation.
- Archeological exhibition of graduate and post graduate projects. In collaboration with Archeological Roman & Hellenistic study Department, Alexandria University.
- Street exhibition “Monmarte Alexandria” in square Adah, where there will be paintings, photo, and music.
- Educational photographic workshops of historic location and building in Alexandria city. In collaboration with ADASAA photographic club.
- Educational sketching workshops of heritage building in Alexandria city. By ANPIEMED cultural foundation.
- Educational Archaeological workshops “Current archaeological discoveries in Alexandria“. In collaboration with Archaeological Society in Alexandria.
- Educational Architectural workshops of Heritage Areas in Alexandria city, issued 2017 Guide. In collaboration with Fine Arts Faculty, Alexandria University and National Organization for Urban Harmony.
- Educational Architectural workshops about “Understanding Resilience in Mediterranean Cities“. In collaboration with Technology & Maritime Academy, Architectural Department.
- Educational photographic workshops of hide doors of the city. By ANPIEMED Cultural Foundation.
Ideas Competition for the Design
- Art competition in collaboration with Sculpture Department, Fine Arts Faculty and Atelier Alexandria, to design a decoration project for SAAD ZAGHLOUL & SAFEYA ZAGHLOUL Square.
Performances of Singing and Dancing
- Children coral for heritage songs performance in downtown square. In collaboration with Said Darewish coral.
- Guitar & violin performance in all café of SAAD SAGLOUL square and the Corniche.
Lighting and Outdoor Digital Projection
A common project with the National Organization for Urban Harmony plans to light several heritage building in Alexandria.
- Seminar about “Evaluation of historical gardens in Alexandria city“; in collaboration with Technology & Maritime Academy, Architectural Department.
- Seminar about future strategic planning for Alexandria city, in collaboration with the Regional Urban Planning Government Department.
- Seminar about the cinema heritage in Alexandria, in collaboration with BEHNA, one of the pioneer company of film production in the city.
- Seminar about the World Heritage from Educational vision in collaboration with UNESCO Clubs for Heritage Preservation in Cairo.
- A seminar about development the decorative designs in traditional crafts industries, in collaboration with UNESCO Clubs for Heritage Preservation in Cairo.
- Forum about the projects and efforts to conserve and document the Egyptian heritage, in collaboration with the National Organization for Urban Harmony.
- Forum about the future of Alexandria monuments in collaboration with Archeological Roman & Hellenistic Study Department, Alexandria University.
- Murals tell the history of the city. In collaboration with the Art Museum of Alexandria
Congress Programme (preliminary)
The international Biennial BRAU4 and HCH Congress and Exhibition will last for three days and will be hosted by Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
Saturday April 28, 2018
- Morning: touristic visit for BRAU4 participants to the Hellenistic monuments of Alexandria
- Afternoon: official opening of Biennial BRAU4 and HCH Congress, with the presence of Italian, Greek, Tunisian and Cypriot Ambassadors, the Minister of Culture and several Egyptian VIP personalities
- Welcome by local Authorities and the Director of Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- Presentation of BRAU4 and HCH Congress by Prof. Arch. Nina Avramidou, President of CICOP Italy and CICOP Net
- Oral Session
- Poster Session
April 29, 2018
- Morning: Oral and Poster Sessions
- Afternoon: touristic visit for for BRAU4 participants to Cosmopolitan Heritage of Alexandria
April 30, 2018
- Oral and Poster Sessions
- Evening: classical music concert as closing event of the Biennial BRAU.